Annabelle White's Pick - The Denby Wooden Bowl & Servers
Posted on March 27 2015
"Seeing those fabulous Denby wooden bowls in store this week reminded me of the need to share the classic French home cooks recipe for salad."
- Simply cut a large clove of garlic in half and rub the garlic all around the bowl.
- Place a teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or whole seed ) in the centre of the bowl.
- Add a little drizzle of honey (optional) and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice - say 2 tablespoons and then drizzle in 6 tablespoons of oil. Now there is much discussion about the best oil to use - I do use olive oil for this, but many cooks find it too strong so you could use canola oil or rice bran, it's a matter of taste preference. Just remember the ratio of lemon juice to oil is one to 3 or one to 4 - I usually go with the one to three as I love the lemon addition.
- Season well and then add your washed and well drained lettuce leaves and with your hands gently coat the greens. If you find the dressing "runs off the greens" you have not dried the lettuce well enough - either a salad spinner or a clean tea towel spun around in the air will do the trick.
- Seasoning with salt and pepper is important and of course if you have parsley, basil, mint etc in the garden adding finely chopped herbs is a terrific addition, but for the French cook the garlic, lemon juice or vinegar with salt and pepper is the very basis of a great dressing !
Enjoy and do not wash the bowl in soapy water = just wipe out with a paper towel.
xx Annabelle www.annabellewhite.com